Help Center


What if I am unable to complete the 30 contact hours needed for renewal? Can I get an extension?

No, the Board does not issue an extension. However, until the continuing education is completed, a license may be renewed in inactive status by payment of the renewal fee, and by checking the inactive box on the renewal notice. An RN cannot practice nursing in California with an inactive license.

Upon completion of the required continuing education, the license may be reactivated by submission of documentation verifying completion of 30 contact hours within the last two years. Upon receipt of this information, the license will be reactivated and the licensee can practice as an RN. Please note: This will not change the expiration date of the license.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk